Do I Still Need to Use macOS for Post?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Cameron Dozier
Do I Still Need to Use macOS for Post?
on Sep 18, 2018 at 7:20:57 pm

Hello,

I am posting this question in this forum because I figure if I wanted to make the switch to PC, it would be best for me to use Avid Media Composer, but I'm not totally sure.

For the longest time it has always made sense to use Macs because most of the media we are getting from even commercials that don't go RAW is quicktime based, and most of the time if we get CinemaDNG's or RAW, we convert to Quicktime. Windows has shat all over quicktime support, and the last time I used Premiere in Windows, it was a nightmare, and it had no support for Prores.

However, I am sick and tired of Apple computers. I build PC computers, and the options for all the hardware is plentiful, you can upgrade CPUs, graphics cards, etc, and build a monster. I have indeed built a Hakintosh drive for one of my rigs, and it has worked well. However, updating is a NIGHTMARE, and good luck if you change any piece of hardware....the potential for disasters with lost data and instability is vast.

So, you Avid media composer folks out there, is PC a good option? Can you use all of the media formats people give you? Is it a massive pain in the ass to give mac users a hard drive with your edit on it? Inevitably I'll be giving colorists or special FX people a hard drive with media on it, how does that even work for PC to Mac for Avid?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]