Re: Replacing files in the Avid MediaFiles folder

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jimmy See
Re: Replacing files in the Avid MediaFiles folder
on Aug 8, 2017 at 3:26:49 am

Hey Travis

I found your predicament interesting because it does sound like it ought to be something you can fix and it's frustrating that such a little thing is standing in the way.

I've found a solution for you, but if Brent's method works, I'd advise using his instead, because his will work with existing edits and mine will not.

However, if you don't have any luck with Brent's method, I have tested this and it worked. Since you've already had to create entirely new media, and what you're afraid of losing is in fact your logging work, not necessarily instances of the clips or their use in timelines, then really relinking isn't actually necessary and Avid finds it problematic anyway since as far as it's concerned the difference in number of tracks means that there is no relationship between your original transcodes and the new ones and you're asking it to relink one piece of media to something totally unrelated. What you actually want to preserve is your metadata, not the relationship between clips in bins and locations on disk.

You can do this using ALE files which are just text based versions of the metadata in a given bin.

• 1. Make a new bin, and populate with your newly created MXF media that has all the tracks. During this process you should put only the same clips in each new bin as were in your old bins, so if you had a bin originally that contained clips 1 to 8, the new bin should also contain only clips 1 to 8 (but of course with the NEW versions of those clips not the old),
  • 2. Save the bin layout of your old bins and choose it as the layout for each new bin as well.
  • 3. Right-click inside one of your old bins and choose 'export bin' an export window will open up with Avid Log Exchange as the default option. Choose a location and save.
  • 4. Having now made an ALE version of your old bin on disk, you want the metadata from that bin to attach itself to master clips in the corresponding new bin, specifically, we only want the media that you entered manually attached to those clips and don't want anything else that might be there by default ruined (especially track data). So first, select all the clips in the bin and then right-click on one them.
  • 5. Select input > import media.
  • 6. Click 'options', in the 'shot log' tab of the import settings window select 'Merge events with known master clips' from the 'Events' list. Click OK.
  • 6. Choose the correct .ALE file that you previously saved on disk, and then click 'open'
  • 7. The columns in your bin will populate with the metadata you previously entered.

I tested this with your exact scenario using resolve for transcoding and two sets of separate transcodes from the same source media one with and one without mixing down audio tracks. It works flawlessly.

The biggest drawback with this that anything you've done with the clips other than logging is still lost because the new media is considered just that, new media. But if you've only done logging then you should be home free.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]