AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Davinci to AVID to Davinci Issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

James Jay
Re: Davinci to AVID to Davinci Issue
on Apr 6, 2017 at 9:23:15 am

Hi Glenn, sorry for the slow reply, I didn't get a notification for some reason.

The reason we can't convert everything right now is 1: Storage. We'd have to have the original rushes kept as well as the 4K/6K/8K transcoded new copies. 2: We'd have to bake in a grade to the footage when we convert it to 25p, as it is currently RAW footage, and we don't know what the final grade is at this stage.

I fully understand the significance of Timecodes in this kind of workflow, which is why its proving to be so frustrating trying to work out how to conform raw MXF rushes to 25p from 2997p. Our RED Epic W can have a 25 timebase which is fine, the a7s's shoot at 2997, as do the Varicam 35, and the GH4's, so it's a big mix of footage!

Where I'm at currently is trying to export DNxHD Dailies from Davinci Resolve at 2997, import them into Avid and then highlight them in a bin, choose source settings, the choose play at timeline framerate (25). This allows the 2997 footage to be played back/edited at 25p, with their timecodes remaining intact. The only struggle i'm having now is actually getting these DNxHD files to appear properly in AVID.

I'm exporting from Davinci as MXF OP-atom, which I believe is the correct type, but AVID is still having a problem importing it which is annoying. If you or anyone could shed some light on that that'd be great. Cheers buddy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]