AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Avid upgrade policy question

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Trenton
Re: Avid upgrade policy question
on Feb 11, 2017 at 10:28:47 pm

And yes, I also agree that as a professional, the $299/year should not be a limiting factor. Avid's challenge for revenue growth is to go beyond it current "pro" market with offerings in order to increase seat count, which then attracts third party developers, which then supports a Marketplace strategy, etc.

I think if it is indeed Avid's goal to expand beyond the traditional pro market in order to increase seat count, basically tapping into the vast youtuber, corporate video and real estate/wedding videos market currently being dominated by Premiere Pro and FCPX then first of all they need to adopt a more competitive pricing strategy.

$49 a month for Media Composer alone (1-year agreement) versus Premiere Pro at $19 a month (1-year agreement) or if you want to you can get the entire Adobe CC suite for those same $49 (1-year agreement) giving you access to literally all of Adobe's software including Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Audition and Media Encoder.
And Avid's $1299 perpetual license versus FCPX perpetual at $299 (add another $100 and you'll get Motion and Compressor included).

With those prices I can't see how Avid will ever be able to win a bigger piece of those markets (presuming that is even their goal of course).
Those $49 a month ($35 for 3-year agreement) by Avid should have at least included Symphony and Pro Tools etc as well in order to make a somewhat more attractive and competitive deal versus the competition.

To say your perpetual license becomes "worthless" is not fair. Is your 2012 Symphony license "worthless"? You've been using it (or have had the ability to use it) for 5 years to cut as many projects as you want on it. It will still work in 5 more years.

I guess outdated is a better term. And if I ever want an up to date Avid Symphony it means I'll have to pay up $2048 for a new MC license with the Symphony option.
But I agree my choice of words probably weren't the best and if I'm lucky I can still go on to use my current Symphony v.6 license for some time, although I may have to adopt some transcode workflow in order to edit with some of the newer 4K codecs I'll be using. I'll do some tests and see how things work out.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]