AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Avid upgrade policy question

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Avid upgrade policy question
on Feb 11, 2017 at 5:06:04 pm

I look at this from a different perspective.

To say your perpetual license becomes "worthless" is not fair. Is your 2012 Symphony license "worthless"? You've been using it (or have had the ability to use it) for 5 years to cut as many projects as you want on it. It will still work in 5 more years.

Now if as a business you decide you can't afford 300 dollars a year (400 with exchange for us Canadians!) but can manage to run with the current license for 4 or more years, then you break even or even end up in the plus side of the ledger, if you decide in 4 or more years you want to "upgrade". Pay 1200 dollars and buy a new perpetual license. your old license is still not "worthless", it just isn't current...you now have two licenses.

If you have a job that comes in where it makes more sense to buy a 1 or 2 month subscription, then do that...transcode, link, edit what ever...guess what, your old "worthless" license will still open that project up, after the subscription ends.

There may be a few newer features that are unavailable, but if you have the media, and the project, you can certainly open the bins and the sequence and work on it. And to be honest, if you pay for a new perpetual license today, at the current rate of "real cool new features" coming from Avid, you might not need to upgrade for 4 years.

Avid bringing back script sync and phrase find is probably the biggest news in 3 or so years. Are the new features nice...sure...can I edit without them...yes.

I currently have two active dongles...each year in January I have to decide if I'm going to pay for 1, 2, or neither of them to continue on support. I don't do this thinking that one, or both of them will become "worthless"...just maybe
worth - less, but still quite useable.

By contrast, in Adobes model, (or Avids subscription model) if you quit paying for a month, then your product is worthless...until you pay some more.

It just depends on how you want to run your business.

Glenn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]