Re: Avid upgrade policy question

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Trenton
Re: Avid upgrade policy question
on Feb 11, 2017 at 11:19:41 am

Things change and have to.
Do Adobe have a perpetual licensing model?
Or was the only option to move to rental at a reduced rate?
Not fair there either.
I've always considered purchases like MC to pay for themselves in 3 years or less. After that its just icing.

I understand things change and obviously me not understanding the consequences of this change is on me. If I had been aware of the change in time then I would definitely have started paying that $299 annual fee in order to 'save' my Symphony license from becoming worthless, but alas I can't turn back time so here I am now.

As you point out Adobe has done away with perpetual licenses, which caused quite some controversy back when everyone were forced into a subscriptions based license model. I don't support that move by Adobe at all as I believe both alternatives should have been kept available instead of shoehorning every customer into Adobe's preferred license model (in Adobe's defence their subscriptions are very reasonably priced compared to Avid though, even though that's no excuse).
So in that sense Avid is, in theory, doing a good thing by offering both subscription based and perpetual licenses to their customers. My only beef here is the customer unfriendly approach they have with their perpetual license upgrade practices.
Basically it is a 'forced' annual subscription fee with no chance of a buy-in if you skip that annual fee for even a year. To me that seems very harsh and unfriendly towards customers who's paid up $1299 and then maybe paid $299 annually for several years on top of that.
Perpetual license holders are in effect being held hostage and forced to keep paying up that annual $299 in order to not loose all chance of ever upgrading their $1299 license in the future. In a way that's just another form of subscription based licensing in my opinion.

To add to that (if my poor math skills aren't playing tricks on me) it seems it takes a whole 9 years(!) before a perpetual license actually starts paying off versus subscription based license, which is, in my opinion, also a very perpetual license unfriendly policy.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]