AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Avid upgrade policy question

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Trenton
Re: Avid upgrade policy question
on Feb 11, 2017 at 9:52:46 am

Its really no different to the Adobe model. Your best bet is just to go with the monthly or yearly subscription just as you do with Adobe.
A lot of marketing and effort was spent over a long period to flag with users the need to put their old licenses on support when the change happened. And rental like Adobe was what many folks wanted.
From Avids point of view what have you put in their coffers in the last few years?

I agree the subscription model per se is no different than the Adobe model so I'm not knocking them for that, but it is their changed policies regarding perpetual licenses I have a problem with here.

A perpetual license cost a lot of money and a policy that renders such a license worthless in terms of future upgrades if you are to skip only one year of their $299 support deal is what I feel is completely unfair. It's pretty much a perpetual + $299 subscription deal in my eyes and not a true perpetual license.
Previously the policy used to be if you skipped upgrades then the only consequence would be you had to pay more when finally upgrading which was a fair policy in my opinion, but now they are punishing their perpetual license holders forever if not paying the annual upgrade fee.
I mean would it really kill them to have something similar to the old arrangement where you can buy back in if skipping a few upgrades? It certainly would be a way better strategy to win back previously loyal customers like myself. Instead the cost of buying back in is so high I may not be able to afford it.

As far as your question of what I've put in Avid's coffers for the last years then that's exactly $0 as my last upgrade was in 2012, I admit that. However through the years I've paid them thousands of dollars from first purchasing an MC license, paying for MC upgrades, then later upgrading from MC to Symphony etc. That is a LOT of money that is now worth nothing to them.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]