AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid upgrade policy question

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Trenton
Avid upgrade policy question
on Feb 10, 2017 at 5:38:06 pm

Hi, I'm currently running Avid Symphony v6.0.1 which I upgraded to about 4-5 years ago.
Since I've mostly been using a Premiere Pro workflow since then I've never really had the need to upgrade my Avid license, but I'm now switching back to Avid and I would like to upgrade to the latest version of Media Composer. Is this possible?

From taking a look at the Avid website the whole upgrade and licensing process seems to have changed quite significantly since the last time I upgraded (subscriptions and annual upgrade plans and whatnot) and it all seemed a bit confusing. Then I came across this on their site:

If you have an older Media Composer perpetual license without an upgrade & support plan, now’s the time to grow your business by adding another Media Composer license. You can still use your current version, however a perpetual license without an upgrade & support plan is non-upgradable.

So does this mean I can't upgrade my current license?
Will I have to spend $1.200 to buy a new license from scratch?
And then on top of that do I have to pay $299 each year for an annual upgrade and support plan in order to keep that new license from becoming worthless again a few years down the road? How does this work really?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]