AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Switching from Premiere - how different is Avid Media Composer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Switching from Premiere - how different is Avid Media Composer?
on Aug 25, 2016 at 10:43:40 pm

[stan welks] "how different is Avid in terms of interface, doing basic editing,"

The basics are there...load clips into the SOURCE...watch, I is IN, O is OUT. Mark in the timeline too, overwrite or insert. All there. IMPORTING...different...although with 8.6 and the source Browser, it's very close to the way PPro does it. BUT...Avid does need you to transcode footage to an editable codec. Native editing isn't high on the list of things it can do.

MEDIA MANAGEMENT...different. Linking it does like premiere, but transcoding, then you have media in a folder in a very specific folder structure that you can't modify, or Avid won't see it. And when you transcode, you can pretty much only work with that media in Avid...it's not a QT file you can open up.

[stan welks] " a little with titles"

Titles...easy. Although the title tool is VERY basic and can't do much. Marquee...complex as hell, but you can do more advanced things. The basic title tool is there, but really lacking. Blue Titler...hit and miss. It's been a miss for me, so I do stuff in AE or Motion.

[stan welks] "and some motion being applied to still photos?"

This is where things get VERY different. When you bring photos in, they are converted to Avid media, and become the size of the project. So even if your still is 4000x3000 pixels, if you import into 1080, it's now 1080. BUT, you then apply the Avid Pan & ZOOM and LINK to the original photo, and do your moves in there. It takes a bit to get used to, but doable. OR...you AMA link to the photos and use FRAME FLEX to move. Also tricky to get right. Or you use a third party app that also links to the original photos, like Moving Picture (VERY old, but works great). Avid and Photos have an ugly history, and there's no smooth way to do this, unlike Premiere Pro. This one thing is a big back step between them.

How you deal with plugins and effects is different too. And the plugins for Avid are NOT cheap. Talking $1600-$3600 for packager. Just to warn you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]