AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Switching from Premiere - how different is Avid Media Composer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Phillips
Re: Switching from Premiere - how different is Avid Media Composer?
on Aug 25, 2016 at 9:29:21 pm

If it is just basic editing, I don't think you will take advantage of everything Media Composer has to offer which is metadata, large media management, multiple editors, send to Pro Tools for audio, etc.

I would suggest downloading the trial version and seeing for yourself. 8.6 introduced the Source Browser which will be closer to what PPro gives you for accessing the footage the in first place. Depending on camera sources, you will need to download AMA plug-in beforehand before you can access the footage. Once all that is in place, editing and trimming is where Media Composer has a lot of fans.

Performance may be an issue, again depending on camera sources. PPro uses the GPU for a lot of processing - you may find yourself transcoding to Avid DNx codec to have a smooth experience. There's no hard and fast rule as to when you will need to do that.

Media Composer is a great tool, but considering your needs, I would also look at Resolve as an editor. It may have just enough for what you are looking to do.

Michael

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]