AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Creating an Alpha Channel in Avid MC 8

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Creating an Alpha Channel in Avid MC 8
on May 25, 2016 at 3:48:33 am

Timelines that contain alpha channels can now be exported as Quicktime DNxHR files. Using a third-party application, you can create QuickTime wrapped DNxHR movies that contain an alpha channel and Fast Import or link these files into Media Composer.

I'm not so sure about this. just tried it with a keyable quicktime into Avid.
Exported both DNXHR and DNXHD out of avid with uncompressed alpha channel turned on in the export settings. Neither one displays an alpha channel when reimported into Avid or Fusion.

I'm questioning the wording of this statement anyway. Part of me thinks they are saying i can export it..the other part of me says this statement says i can import it..if it is made in a third party application.

If i have an element with a keyable element that was created in a third party application, why do i need to export it out of avid as a keyable element? Its already a keyable element.

If i put it on a full piece of video, it would now export with full screen alpha anyway. (i would need a way of exporting the source clip, not the comped timeline) From what i can tell, Avid's timeline always has solid alpha on the output.

In my attempt, i put the clip by itself at the end of the timeline, so there was no video under it, but it still came back with solid alpha.

Like i said...i'm not so sure about the wording of that statement. Importing alpha is nothing new...but they seem to go out of their way to say that the alpha needs to be created in a third party application, and then it can be imported.

If anyone does get it to work, i'd be interested to hear what your settings were.

Glenn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]