AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?
on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:11:41 pm

You can see the difference between the linked clips and the transcoded clips by the icon. linked clips have the little chain.

Typically I put my linked clips in a folder/bin configuration labeled "original links" I quite often do offline/online workflows, so I like the ability to go back to my original links, and I don't like having to relink hundreds of clips at the end of the process, so I keep my links around.

If you still have the links, separate them into other bins.

I'm trying to remember in V8.0 if upon transcoding clips, did all the linked clips change over to a regular clip icon? (no longer showing the difference between transcodes and links?)

If you can still tell which are links, and you want to delete them, then go ahead and delete them. Deleting a linked clip doesn't delete the original media, just the link to it that you have created.

If all your clips now appear to be transcoded media, but you have duplicates, then you should at least have a .new in the naming of the new clips? The other clips would be your original links.
If you want to delete those, just don't delete the associated media with those clips.

If unsure as to what you can delete, and what not to delete, just remember, if you go to delete a transcoded clip, you have the option of deleting both the master clip, and the associated media (transcoded media)from that clip. In your situation, you do not want to delete the associated media, so don't hit that checkbox.

Anytime you accidentally delete just the master clip (without its media) you can always bring it back in with the Media Tool, or by dragging a database into an open bin and finding the missing clip there.

One of the best things people new to Avid can do is play around with the media management system, and learn how to use it to your advantage. Yes it is very different that Premiere and Final Cut, but it is still very strong, and very flexible.

Glenn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]