AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?
on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:08:33 am

[Ada Ya] "All the file's are AMA linked, not imported."

That's your problem RIGHT there...AVCHD AMA linked, and not transcoded. AVCHD is the most processor intensive codec out there...decoding it in real time takes TONS of resources. Avid isn't built for that. Adobe is, but only if you add those resources...LOTS of RAM, and an expensive graphics card that enables the Mercury Engine.

No, for Avid you need to transcode this footage to DNxHD after you link....and edit the DNxHD footage.

[Ada Ya] "- Would the program run faster if the files was imported instead of AMA linked?"

AMA link and transcode. IMPORTING is the old school way, and not as solid as AMA link and transcode.

[Ada Ya] "- Can I lower the preview quality and still keep the cut that I've made?"

Nope. It's not the playback quality that's the issue, it's the codec. You can transcode the footage and relink your cut to that footage. In order to do that, you need to take the original AMA footage offline....

[Ada Ya] "- Any other long-term solutions that will speed up the program?"

Yup...use the workflow it's designed for. AMA link direct editing really isn't the way. It works best when cutting short form projects, and with formats that are easier to deal with, like DNxHD or ProRes QT files, MXF camera masters, etc. AVCHD is just a bear of a format. SO...AMA link and transcode...that's the way Avid works best.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]