AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: frame flex workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Phillips
Re: frame flex workflow
on Oct 13, 2015 at 12:02:58 pm

This is somewhat part of a longer discussion that should have been decided before creating 1920x1080 DNxHD media which will always be 16:9 aspect ratio and anything that is not that aspect ratio will have letterbox or pillarbox.

FrameFlex' primary benefit is allowing you to access resolution from sources that are larger than project resolution providing more "quality" for reframing. But seeing as you have already made 1920x1080 material there is no real value in FrameFlex.

Now, you can certainly still use FrameFlex by going to source settings and lying about its XY resolution and aspect ratio to create what you are looking for, but all my tests with conform so far have shown that source side manipulation in this manner DOES NOT CONFORM correctly. Unfortunately Avid did not properly design virtual resolution for just these types of operations.

What you need to do, is work in a 2.40 project type (2K+) and transcode your media to native source size in DNxHR LB (equivalent to DNxHD 36) and now you have correct and expected behavior although I have seen some wonkiness with anamorphic, but that is not your scenario. This will result in a 2.40 extract of the 4:3 higher resolution frame that you can reframe up and down as needed and this will conform correctly when using FrameFlex.

UHD DNxHR LB is 4x the storage of 16:9 DNxHD but you can render 1/4 frame proxies which makes it exactly the same as DNxHD as far as storage requirements go. BUT... Avid has not yet put the ability to transcode proxies by third parties in their licensed Avid Media Toolkit. But working at 2K 2.40 may be very close to DNxHD so it may not be that much if an issue storage wise. I need to do a quick test to see how it compares.

Michael

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]