AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: AMA linking problems

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Glenn Sakatch
Re: AMA linking problems
on May 17, 2015 at 3:30:28 pm

I'm not sure what they think they are achieving by getting you to do the extra relink. (They aren't achieving anything as far as im concerned...except an extra bin of clips in your project) The clips in your project are either pointing to DNX media or raw media, having 3 versions of the clips is a waste. As I said, I do like keeping the original link files around, as it does help at the end with the relink. (Basically stops you from having to ama again at the end...not a deal buster, but certainly helps)

Going from Mac to PC will be a bit of a problem anyway. ( I just completed a 3 hour doc series that was like this) The ama links from one to the other are next to useless, as you can't replicate the drive structure across platforms. The "other" system will have to build their own ama links no matter what. One systems reads the original files coming from Volumes/Drive1...the other will see G:\Drive1. There is no way in Avid to easily say "substitute the word Volumes for the letter G. (or whatever the case may be) The "relink to ama files" button will basically ask you to identify each file, one at a time. Try doing that with 72 tb of clips

To get around this, I had to alt drag all my clips into new ama bins.
(this automatically updated the original ama links with the new path)

As for AMA itself, there aren't too many people that will tell you they never have issues with it. It is still a bit flakey. Sometimes it just works....sometimes you struggle to relink to items you have previously linked to. I do find the Alt drag method works pretty good when the other method starts to fail.

Glenn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]