AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AMA vs Transcoding Reasons/Performance when using RAW video or AVI

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jared Jones
AMA vs Transcoding Reasons/Performance when using RAW video or AVI
on Dec 30, 2014 at 9:01:46 am

So I'm basically brand new to Avid Media Composer 8.3 and so far I love everything about the workflow. However one new thing that comes up that has me a *little* bit confused is AMA linking and Avid transcoding. So first off I'd like to say that I've researched it and have read other threads on this forum regarding the differences. Instead my question relates to transcoded material and how it'll link against the original source material.

So let's say that my source material is RED Raw Footage, or perhaps something already compressed like an MP4. Now I know from experimentation that if I edit with my source material in Avid that the program will run very slow. So basically what you're supposed to do is transcode your source material into Avid's format so that you can edit more efficiently. Now for my question...

If I transcode aren't I losing the RAW video quality? What I'd really prefer is if I could transcode the video, edit with the transcoded material, and then export the project using ALL the effects I applied but instead of using the transcoded video it would instead use my source material. (a.k.a RED Raw). This would be great because all the edits would continue to be in Red Raw and there wouldn't be any compression. So how does this work? Before Media Composer 8.3 there was no support for 4K or UHD video. So how did Hollywood editors edit in Avid and then export in 4K? I'm assuming they transcoded into 1080p Avid and then exported against their source material.

How do I go about doing this? Thanks! :)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]