AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Printing from Scriptsync

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Phillips
Re: Printing from Scriptsync
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:31:41 pm

ScriptSync is one of those unique features to Media Composer that truly changes the way an editor approaches their material, especially when working with the director and producers. I was responsible for the original design of Script Based Editing back in the mid-late 1990's and again over 6 years ago in identifying that Nexidia technology could be used to automate the more laborious process of syncing takes to script.

Unfortunately (not from lack of trying), other than the phonetic transcript align function, the host (script based editing) has had no real update since the mid-late 90's other than a simple scroll features (keep slates on screen). The original and ongoing designs really had so much more this could do to assist the creative process. Some of them are patents I had filed while at Avid. What is not known, is if it will ever be developed to its full potential. While most of the limitations are in the host, there are challenges with performance based footage due to ad-libbing, and repeated pick up lines within a take that still take human interaction to correct or properly line-up. But if you follow the technology closely like I do, there are designs and solutions ways to make those better as well.

But the power of the script, transcript, and original media can be very powerful. We will see what Avid's future will hold at NAB. There has been a "vision" video that was done by Avid's CEO for investor community that spoke to the power of metadata and search. Perhaps they are coming back around to the original feature and benefits started many years ago.

Michael

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]