AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Gary Hazen
Re: Desktop logging of rough selects for MC6
on May 14, 2012 at 9:54:49 pm

For our particular work flow it's worth the expense.

I'm not a fan of AMA. We try to get the most out of our discs so we end up with well over a hundred clips on a single disc (nearly 90 min.). With a PDW-U1 drive attached to the edit station it can take awhile for all those clips to load into the bin via AMA.

I prefer to import an AAF file and then import the media attached to the AAF. It's much faster since I'm only grabbing the clips I need. I write the AAF back to the original disc in the user data folder. I'll have the producers do this as well once I'm finished testing out the work flow.

I used to have the producers export an EDL using the PDZ-1 software. I would bring the EDL in through EDL manager, assign a tape name name to the clips and digitize with a 1500 deck. It worked OK. I can see that using AAF will be a big improvement over the EDL workaround.

That said, I wish Sony hadn't made AAF a paid option. Bummer. We can blame it on Sony's marketing department I guess. No doubt they are pleased that they have, "Monetized components of their applications". Whatever. I'm an editor, I just want a way to get my Producer's selects into my edit system as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]