AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Avid the Nightmare....(New user Needs Assistance)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Conlee
Re: Avid the Nightmare....(New user Needs Assistance)
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:26:42 pm

Greg,

I've been following your posts on the FCP X forum and think I warned you at one point to not try and make Avid behave like FCP. They're definitely two distinct animals. Having said that, I know your pain. I came to Avid from a slew of other PC and Amiga based systems, and it took me a good month to feel comfortable with it. Now it's completely second nature and I wouldn't cut with anything else.

The "why does it make things complicated" style comments most often indicate the depth of Avid's flexibility, which can be daunting at first. But there are nearly always quick ways to get a basic effect or technique accomplished. Just know, as a professional, when you want more it's always available under the hood.

To make an extended flash to white, build a white frame in title tool (or import an existing one from Photoshop or something) and then dissolve into and out of it, choosing your durations to fit your needs. Remember, and this is important, you have to leave enough media at the head and tail of any clip in order to do a transition. If you don't then Avid won't let you build your transition. Also, you can tell Avid to start the transition at the edit, end at the edit, or be centered upon the edit, or you can manually place the center of the transition anywhere you like. Flexibility.

If you just want a simply flash to white at an edit point then select "dip to color" as your transition and change the color to white with the picker. Choose your duration (I usually use 6 or 8 frames).

For flashy "exposure" changes, you can apply the color effect from the Image effect palette, and keyframe the White Level (you can find it under the Luma Control turn down). This works really great for Tony Scott-ish speed ramps and stuff where you want to emulate the exposure of film when undercranking a movie camera.

Don't get discouraged. And learn to let go of your FCP habits, because it will just hold you back.

Chris

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]