AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Avid on P4

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex Alexzander
Re: Avid on P4
on Nov 24, 2006 at 6:27:50 pm

Xpress Pro doesn't actually support the ATi cards. You should be using a Quadro FX card.

* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3500 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3450 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3400 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1500 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1400 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1300 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 560 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 550 PCI Express
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 3000 AGP 8X
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1100 AGP 8X
* NVIDIA QuadroFX 500 AGP 8X

For notebooks, the following:

* NVIDIA QuadroFX 1500M
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 350M
* NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400
* ATI Mobility FireGL V5200*
* ATI Mobility Fire GL V5000*
* ATI Mobility Radeon X600*

A couple laptop ATI cards show certification, but virtually everyone I know that has used ATi cards has simply just removed them and replaced them with a certified Quadro FX card.

You could try using Legacy Overlay mode, but that might not work for you. You will also lose features when you use this mode. You could try it and see what you think. When launching the application, hold down the "L" and "O" keys until you see the first prompt. Then open the console and type: legacyoverlay on

Again, this might not help you,. and you may even have to turn off OpenGL 3D functions. That's holding down "O" and "G" and then using the console again and typing: disable3d

Just buy a Quadro FX 1500 or a 3450 and be done with it.

Lastly, as Bob suggested, you want to at least try to follow the HP as a guideline. I've built machines that run Avid perfectly, and I get to support myself, rather than depend on someone else to do it. I understand why you would want to do it yourself. Truly I do. But if you do choose to do this on your own, you should have gathered more information about what is certified before spending your money.

All specialized application will have a system requirement that needs to be followed. This is true of editing software, 3D software, music composition, and compositing software. Always always read their system requirements. Follow them all the way down to the IRQ and driver level.

Here is Avid's for Xpress Pro:

http://avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp

Good luck,

Alex

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • Avid on P4 by austin on Nov 23, 2006 at 11:22:36 pm
    • Re: Avid on P4 by Alex Alexzander on Nov 24, 2006 at 6:27:50 pm

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]