MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Re: Mixing 4k with 1080p

COW Forums : Media 100

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jack Shepard
Re: Mixing 4k with 1080p
on Apr 3, 2016 at 1:46:34 am

There are people far more technical than me, Michael. But in my opinion, I would say no if you plan on finishing in 1080p. At the end of the day, it is going to become 1080p so the extra storage and horsepower needed to edit it in 4k isn't worth it. Your picture will end up as 1080p.

People often say one of the advantages of editing in 4k is that you have the ability to zoom in on objects much further than if you are finishing in 1080p. I don't think that is true. I've found that when pushing in on 4k (and finishing in 1080p) that even though supposedly I have gained extra resolution it still turns out blurry. I've been told that this is due to lens optics.

Most Hollywood films are still finishing on 2k. Unless you are on a gigantic screen you can't actually tell the difference between 2k and 4k... there is some scientific reason behind motion blur that renders the two almost exact. Apparently, it is not until 60fps you can really tell the difference. And the 60fps version of the Hobbit was not exactly a roaring success! As viewers, we are just too accustomed to the feel of 24 or 25fps.

There is a great article about this I saw recently which I wish I could find to send you. If I find it will add it later.
So, many may disagree with me but I am not on the 4K ever higher bandwagon. Instead, I am on the bandwagon of the cameras that create the prettiest images... which to me Arri is winning.

Also, I would throw out that M100 can only handle 4k in some codecs and at some resolutions. Make sure to do a test first with some footage.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]