MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Re: Is Media 100 Dead?

COW Forums : Media 100

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Maxwell Federman
Re: Is Media 100 Dead?
on Apr 15, 2013 at 2:24:29 pm

Here in Texas, the biggest universities had been training students exclusively on FCP and had gone so far as to build massive and elaborate servers for it. Even Apple, a giant of the computing world, decided they'd throw in the towel on a conventional editing system and release FCPx much to the dismay of many people. It just so happens that Apple has a large wing here in Austin and rumor has it that a 64-bit "FCP 8" was in development of not finished and will probably never see the light of day; probably because the business people at apple figured it would make sense to release what amounts to a hybrid of FCP and iMovie and release it at a very low price point. If you haven't seen it yet, you'd likely get a laugh from the FCP X video released by the Conan O'Brien show that mocks professional use of FCPx; it's worth a search on YouTube.

Anyways we've watched as Avid took full advantage of apples move, solidifying themselves as the one professional edit system. I guess premeire is also gaining momentum now on Mac; but working with Premiere CS_ on the PC and all of the horrible bugs and crashes remind me of what brought me to Media100 in the first place.

While it was the very first NLE editing system I ever saw in action; it took some time until I could convince my then-employer to try it. Media100i was a great product for its time albeit not without it's own quirks and flaws. Editing style often dictates the best tool to use, and nowadays the projects I am working on often require as many as 12 tracks of video to incorporate the layers of graphics and keying that go into a composition. Sadly this workflow would be less than ideal for m100 in its current incarnation and probably not so great for FCPx either.

It's easy to look at what it would take to get Media100 up to snuff so to speak and think it wouldn't take much. But perhaps we must consider the difficulty and expense involved in creating a video editing application. And apparently changes in Apple's development program have added additional hurdles. I think you guys are doing the right thing by voicing your opinions here on the COW.

And in defense of Boris Y, I think he is probably a very busy person, and it's not unlikely that he also has his own feelings about media100 as it has been a part of the Boris FX / Artel story for so long now.

I have a 10 year old German shepherd. Last year her ACL tore in the hind leg. I spent $2000+ on surgery and an implant to prolong her life... but I did it out of love; not because it made financial sense to do so. Granted, we are discussing a piece of software and not an animal. But it's a piece of software that people love, or this thread would not exist. I only hope that the Boris team will chime in here and at least explain what is going on with the software; if its nothing, then why.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]