MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Re: Is Media 100 Dead?

COW Forums : Media 100

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

olof ekbergh
Re: Is Media 100 Dead?
on Feb 17, 2013 at 2:49:18 pm

Michael, once you start to work with FCPX, you will be really impressed by how quickly you can work. And how easily and well you can manage media.

As soon as you mount a card or a HD with pretty much any media on it you can import it in a lot of different ways. If it is organized in folders each folder becomes a keyword (a smart bin really) and you can assign many keywords and favourites to any clip. You have to wrap your head around this but basically FCPX is a searchable Database for all your media, and you can save "smart searches". You can also start working with the files as the import is going on.

Once you start using a modern way of file handling the old bins and media folders really is clunky in comparison.

All your projects (events) and programs (timelines) are always visible but can be hidden or just put into folders to keep them organized and instantly available. M100 1 project at a time and locating media when opening is a pain.

M100 is just stuck in time, there are new and much improved ways of working once you wrap your head around them. If these new ways of working were not faster and easier to find/archive media and project I would not care. But the new ways save time and keeps me much more organized, it is so easy to find any clip even from a totally different project.

I resisted switching to FCP/Avid/Premier for years and I think the first program that really is worth switching to is the latest versions of FCPX. I did end up using FCP7 a lot in the sat few years because of collaboration with other editors, but I never liked it. I have always loved AE and I still use it a lot, but I must admit that Motion is very good and integrates really well with FCPX.

I don't want to sound like an Apple ad. But the truth is that there are new and different ways to think about video editing and at least for me it works well.

I would love to see a modern version of M100, but it does not seem likely.

As long as M100 works for you, use it. I just found FCPX is much faster and easier to organize for my way of working.

Olof Ekbergh

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]