MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Re: Is Media 100 Dead?

COW Forums : Media 100

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim Wiseman
Re: Is Media 100 Dead?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:58:06 pm

Unlike Michael, I have never edited film, although I have been doing portable and broadcast video since 1970, well before computer based editing. I was the exclusive Avid dealer here in Hawaii from the early to late '90's, as well as one of two Media 100 dealers from near the beginning to the end. Since then I have returned exclusively to production work. I also now use Adobe Premiere to preview material in any codec and do some color correction and titling, then exporting ProResHQ to Media 100 for final edit. Why? Because it has the fastest, simplest, most direct editing metaphor of any non-linear editor I have worked with, the quality is superb, audio simple and direct, and exports have always been flawless. It just works. Premiere on the Mac has been less than stable, but seems to be improving. A bit too much concentration on features as opposed to functionality. The M100 software has grown up on the Mac, it is not the second choice platform. The other reasons I prefer M100. And Avid, while great for closed system feature production, is not open enough for my workflow that can involve many sources.

I am almost exclusively in documentary production these days, so my need for complicated effects are few when I get to final. M100 has good hooks to After Effects, and of course RED is integrated. I could also do effects at the Premiere stage of my workflow. I do hope that Boris keeps developing M100, at least keeping up with OSX updates, AJA drivers including support for Thunderbolt devices, and bug fixes. I would hate to see M100 fall by the wayside. The silence has been rather deafening. I, like Michael, will probably continue to use it for as long as possible.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]