FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: EVS XT2+ and KiPro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Heagy
Re: EVS XT2+ and KiPro
on May 26, 2010 at 2:25:07 am

EVS falls into the category of Broadcast "Heavy Iron". They are standard on most production trucks and replaced the ubiquitous GV Profile. Multiple EVS's can be networked together via SDTI, and each box can play each others media.

There are very few VTRs on trucks nowadays and KiPros are becoming very popular for "standard" VTR like recordings, but they can't match the "playout while recording" feature of an EVS. The only systems that can do this are Building 4 Media, Gallery, Softron and one other that doesn't come to mind. All of these rely on general purpose computers and an IT infrastructure. In the world of live mobile HD broadcasting things like "oh... I need to restart" or "my app just crashed" can't happen. EVS charges a heavy premium for it's "bullet proof" reliability and I believe it was the first, and maybe only, system that handles "super slomo" replay.

Standard deliverables from production trucks are now X-File exports (iso cam melt reels) and a single VTR tape "line cut". X-File is an EVS Windows app that serves as a portal to the EVS media. It rewraps it's native ProRes, DV100 or DNxHD recordings as .mov and .mxf and writes to NTFS hard drives. The significance of EVS's native support of these formats cannot be over emphasized. Their previous MPEG2 and PhotoJPEG mxf exports where a pain to decode... just watch out for viruses.

John Heagy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]