FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Kona LHi system setup?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Boris Missirkov
Re: Kona LHi system setup?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:27:38 am

"But if your real question is "so what is the CHEAPEST way I can do this, so I can undercut everyone elses prices, because we don't have a lot of money" - I will not answer this question. I am here to tell you about good equipment, not how you can SCREW all of your competitors by spending less money and providing the same product.

Bob Zelin"

Bob,

If I was misleading in my post, it was probably in the use of the word "indie company". We are "indies" in the sense that we are not affiliated with any major studio anywhere. Which doesn't mean "non-professional", though. Our films screen - and often win - at Cannes, Berlin, Toronto, Sundance, Slamdance, Pusan, Moscow, Amsterdam, and dozens and dozens of smaller fests. That helps us to find money for the next projects, and we are happy this way.

We are not in the commercial business, we do not offer post service (except for fellow filmmakers whom we do NOT charge for giving a hand with a project), so we are not competing with anyone - especially with Hollywood pros at the other end of the globe. We are now just looking for a way to be able to finish our own stuff made with current-generation cameras.

Let's re-phrase my question this way:
We have a certain money for post equipment, and we have to have a workstation in a month or so. After deducting the price of the host machine, the card and the software (locally, we are one of the very few companies that do pay for the software they use, BTW), we have about US 4K left for storage. (Bear in mind that all the gear is usually 25-30% more expensive in Europe that in the States, and add 20% VAT - equivalent of your state tax - to that.)

So, the question is: is there any storage solution that is adequate for grading a 90-minute feature in 10-bit uncompressed HD - if possible, in RT - for that buck?

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Boris

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]