Re: Kona LHi system setup?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LHi system setup?
on Feb 17, 2010 at 12:04:52 am

Hi -
your post is misleading. There is a G-Tech forum that could answer these questions better, than an AJA forum.

you write -

For the moment, a system consisting of a Mac Pro Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core with a Kona LHi seems to be the best solution - it would handle everything up to 1080 HD, and I'm afraid that for proper work with Scarlet footage we'd have to eventually get a Red Rocket (or whatever Red has to offer by the time they launch the camera).

REPLY - you don't need a Red Rocket to work with Scarlet, or any other RED camera. Red Alert and Red Rushes are free downloads from http://www.red.com, that you can get right now to translate your footage to Apple ProRes422.

What I'm wondering about is the storage: the budget we've got is not enough for a proper external disk array (like two G-SPEED eS PRO boxes for full 2K throughput). Having read quite a few posts in this forum, I'd like to ask a few questions:

REPLY - two G-Tech G-Speed eS Pros will not do sustained 2K, but will work fine for all of your standard def and Hi Def compressed HD stuff.

- what is the maximum bandwidth I could get from an internal array of 4 disks with a RAID controller? (there was a recommendation for a similar setup somewhere here)

REPLY - inexpensive drive arrays will average about 200Mb/sec. The more expensive ones (that can do 2K footage) will give you about 600 - 700Mb/sec. These cost around $5000, and come from the better companies that you see advertise on Creative Cow. G-Tech makes "good stuff" and "cheap stuff". The good stuff will do 2K, the cheap stuff will not. Same applies to most manufacturers.

- what RAID is the most sensible compromise between speed and safety - 5?

REPLY - RAID 5 is the best option for you. Almost no one is doing RAID 3 these days, and RAID 6 is for larger systems (like 16 drive systems). You can run RAID 6 on less drives, (like an 8 bay) but you decrease your storage and speed too much.

- what RAID controller? I saw MaxxDigital, Dulce, JMR or GTech mentioned in other threads, but which one (tested in real-life) could control an internal array, and have the option to add external arrays later on?

REPLY - you are buying a package from any of these companies. If you buy the G-Tech G-Speed eS, you will get a Highpoint host controller card with this product. Dulce, JMR, Maxx Digital, Cal Digit, and others sell you SYSTEMS that work - all are excellent companies, all will provide you with professional host controller cards, disk drives, and chassis that will work professionally, and give you the performance for your 2K work, as well as RAID 5 protection. You will not "piece together" a drive system with components from Dulce, Cal Digit, JMR and Maxx Digital to make a cheap working system.

If you have zero money, stick 3 Hitachi SATA drives in your MAC Pro, stripe them together RAID 0, and go to work. Make money, save your money, and buy one of these professional products as a complete system when you have enough money.

- RAM: are the 6 Gigs that come standard enough, or should we add more?

REPLY - for a stand alone FCP system, 6 Gigs is enough.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]