Kona LHi system setup?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Boris Missirkov
Kona LHi system setup?
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:49:03 pm

Hi,

As a newbie to the Cow, to present myself in brief: I'm part of a small indie production company, based in Sofia, Bulgaria. We've been specializing in creative documentaries over the last 8-10 years - some links to our films' sites can be found at http://www.agitprop.bg, if anybody's interested.

We've had many flavours of Premiere-based suites in the past - starting from the Matrox RT and Digisuite over a decade ago - and now are finally making the move to FCP. As I don't have much hands-on experience with recent Mac-based systems, a bit of advice would be greatly appreciated.

The sources and formats that we expect to work with in the near future (a year or so) are:
- 720/25p HDV footage - that would be captured in Apple ProRes, I suppose;
- 1080/25 HD telecine footage - captured as uncompressed HD, as we usually end up in film-out for bigger projects;
- occasional capture/recording from/to DigiBeta and Beta SP
- 3K/2K Scarlet footage, when the beast finally comes out.

For the moment, a system consisting of a Mac Pro Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core with a Kona LHi seems to be the best solution - it would handle everything up to 1080 HD, and I'm afraid that for proper work with Scarlet footage we'd have to eventually get a Red Rocket (or whatever Red has to offer by the time they launch the camera).

What I'm wondering about is the storage: the budget we've got is not enough for a proper external disk array (like two G-SPEED eS PRO boxes for full 2K throughput). Having read quite a few posts in this forum, I'd like to ask a few questions:

- what is the maximum bandwidth I could get from an internal array of 4 disks with a RAID controller? (there was a recommendation for a similar setup somewhere here)
- what RAID is the most sensible compromise between speed and safety - 5?
- what RAID controller? I saw MaxxDigital, Dulce, JMR or GTech mentioned in other threads, but which one (tested in real-life) could control an internal array, and have the option to add external arrays later on?
- RAM: are the 6 Gigs that come standard enough, or should we add more?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Best:

Boris

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]