FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Extracting the last bit of life from my G5

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Paul Ramsbottom
Re: Extracting the last bit of life from my G5
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:08:59 pm

I went ahead and bought the Kona 2 card and installed it with the latest drivers alongside my Matrox MXO which I still use to display. Two observations. Jeremy is absolutely correct, I do not see any speed improvements when rendering the timeline. However, and apologies for the largely anecdotal analysis of this but it definitely feels as if my system has had a performance increase in general use, and I noticed that FCP re-profiled for RT Extreme upon first launch after this install.

Overall the system has a definite extra snap when quickly scrubbing through large HDV timelines. I know that sounds terribly subjective but it's definitely there. I'll see if I can find some way to benchmark it, although I probably can't be bothered to do an uninstall for that. It's not much but definitely worth the $270 with shipping that I paid for this card, BOB and cables.

I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this [now somewhat old] AJA product. They definitely live up to their reputation of quality.

A final question if anyone feels like indulging me. When I finally drag my giant Sony 34" 1080i HD TV into my studio, and start using it as a client monitor for my ProRes422 24P projects, will the 1080 23.98 psf output selection be the correct setting. Based on everything I have read here it is but I wanted to check. I suppose it must be that 'progressive segmented format" that my PS3 uses to send a 24P image from my Bluray disks to my 1080i TV.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]