FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: LUTs LUTs LUTs!!!

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marc Wielage
Re: LUTs LUTs LUTs!!!
on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:06:13 am

I saw no answer to your question, so I'll pitch in.

A "temp LUT" is fine to get through the edit if it helps the creative team see a meaningful picture. And that includes on the set as well. It's up to the director and DP if they want to stick with that look throughout final color or not.

What I generally tell our clients to do is to give us a reference file that bakes in their LUT to the edited offline of the show, then we match our look in the color room using the reference as a comparison. My general choice is not to use the LUT but to reproduce those settings in a less-destructive way with the controls in the color correction system. 99% of the time, we can get there with no problem. Sometimes, we can come up with an alternate LUT that's not as extreme and gives us more "wiggle room" in terms of adjustment and detail.

The off-shelf LUTs from Arri are fine and can work to a point. I generally don't like the so-called "look LUTs" that are out there, but again, it's just a creative choice. It doesn't really matter how you get there, as long as the people supervising the final color session like the results, plus it's done on-time and on-budget. The advantage of doing a look from scratch is that you might wind up with a much better look than where you were in dailies. It's always good to have options.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • LUTs LUTs LUTs!!! by Kevin Camin on Jun 23, 2018 at 4:22:34 am
    • Re: LUTs LUTs LUTs!!! by Marc Wielage on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:06:13 am

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]