Re: Large Storage solution needed

COW Forums : Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Large Storage solution needed
on Aug 31, 2013 at 8:27:46 pm

[Matthew Kasey] "I need a very large amount of storage that is always online "

Shared or direct-attached?) What are the ideal capacity, performance and features you are looking for?

[Matthew Kasey] "The performance is horrible"

Drobos in general aren't famous for their performance, but I'd love to hear exactly what was horrible - what were the pain points.

[Matthew Kasey] " I have been checking out the HDPro24 from CalDigit and ActiveRAIDes. Has anyone used these? Do you know of better/cheaper solutions?"

I haven't had first-hand experience with either CalDigits or ActiveRAIDs although some cows here are using them. Both HDPro24 and ActiveRAID appear to be SAN-ready systems, with over $10K for 24-48TB configurations: configuring them for shared access will add quite a few $$$ to the price tag, as well.

If you are OK with direct-attached storage, I'd look at ProAvio and CineRAID SAS expanders: a 64TB 16-bay configuration with redundant power, Areca 1882x, ATTO R680 or one of the mid-range LSI controllers - in the $9-11K range.

If you need shared storage, I'd look at NAS boxes from QNAP and Thecus - purchased through a good video integrator (not through online retailers) - as you may need help configuring and maintaining them.

HTH.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]