FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: wiring - license?

COW Forums : Storage & Archiving

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: wiring - license?
on May 8, 2010 at 12:54:17 pm

Oh, how I LOVE this stuff. It varies from state to state, and it varies from contractor to contractor (and most important - it varies from client to client) -

I work for ALL kinds of companies - and the only time I ever heard this nonsense (low voltage wiring contractor) was from Electronic Arts, but I shut up, and let the "low voltage contractor" run the cables in the ceilings, and I continue to get work from them.

BUT IT GETS BETTER. Now, I work for all kinds of companies, including NASA, Lockheed Martin, Disney, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement - you get the idea - a lot of bigger companies that might be "sensitive to anything", but are not. But within the last month, even though I have been working for the freelance for the last 10 years, Universal Studios NOW says that I have to have a contract with them, AND have 1 million dollars in liability insurance. So they had a simple problem with one of their FCP systems (a system that I was hired by them to install, and has been working for over a year), but now that there is a problem (with the AJA Kona LHi card), they will not allow me to go back in there to fix this simple problem, because I don't have State of Florida liability insurance. SO, how did this end ? I wound up "sneaking in" to Universal to fix the problem (for free, so as not to piss off AJA), and now, I will probably have to drop Universal as a client, because it is not financially worth it to me to have this insurance for just one client. If EVERYONE required this, then I would do it, but not for just one client - even if they are a huge company.

As for becoming a "licensed low voltage contractor" - come on. I have worked in TWO state schools running cable, and no one ever asked for this. It's one person torturing you. I got tortured too.

Maybe this was a post for the Business forum on Cow.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]