Re: NAS set-up for video production advice

COW Forums : Storage & Archiving

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: NAS set-up for video production advice
on May 22, 2018 at 3:13:46 pm

Hi Mark -
the TVS-831e is a very nice little system. Unlike it's more expensive similar systems, like the TS-1685 12 bay or TVS-1282T 8 bay, the TVS-831e does not come with 2 things
1) there is no 10G network card in this unit. It's an option
2) there is no 12G miniSAS expander card in this unit. It's an option.

You MUST purchase a 10G card for this system, or it will be useless for you. Currently the correct card is the
QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550. It's $359 US. ($399 retail). HOWEVER - QNAP has announced, and allegedly released a new cheap single port 10G card for this unit that is only $139. It's the QNAP QXG-10G1T. (this is NOT the QNAP
LAN-10G1TA - I know, it's all very confusing). I have not seen the QNAP QXG-10G1T at any US dealer so far, but it allegedly is out and available. This is a single port 10G card that is half the price of the QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 that uses the same 10G Aquantia 107 chip that is in the new iMac Pro.

With that said, yes, the TVS-831e will work wonderfully for you if it is setup correctly.
When you built a multi drive system with 8 drives, you can configure this for RAID 5 (to allow for one disk failure before losing all your data) or RAID 6 (to allow for two disk failures before losing all your data). Of course, when you do this, you lose the equivalent of one or two drives worth of usable storage for your system.

For thunderbolt 2 computers, the Sonnet Twin 10G will work very well for you.

It becomes very confusing to choose a QNAP, because there are so many models that physically look similar. It's only because I tested a TVS-831e that I can tell you that it is a good fast system. A similar cheap model - the TS-831x is a terrible slow system, that is sold at an almost identical price point. Most of the systems I put in are about double the price of the TVS-831e - specifically the TS-1685, or the TVS-1282T.

Let me know if you need any further information. I will answer whatever you need to know.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]