FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update old CPUs before buying server? And Storinator from 45Drives

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Geoff Birmingham
Update old CPUs before buying server? And Storinator from 45Drives
on Feb 28, 2018 at 5:13:22 pm

First, I don't see that anyone has mentioned the Storinator from 45 Drives as an option for a storage server. http://www.45drives.com. Just curious to know if anyone has used one of their products.

I had no intention of buying a server - my co-editor and I have worked reasonably well just with our local RAID drives - but a sales rep from 45 Drives called me out of the blue and my curiosity was piqued.

Here's my most important question: I am wondering how much risk there is to buy a server and THEN, down the road, upgrade work stations. Is that putting the cart before the horse? Should I really upgrade my two edit computers first and THEN do the server?

I mention this because my work station is ... an early 2008 PowerMac!! (with Yosemite). My co-editor is on an early 2014 PowerMac (pre-thunderbolt). We're still in the HD world, of course. No 4K yet.

Sales rep readily acknowledged that, because of the age of our network interface cards, we won't get maximum speed. His main arguments are:

1) if we connect to the server with CAT6 ethernet, we'll work at the same speed as we do now with our local SATA raids;

2) the two of us will be able to share storage; and

3) after we've updated our workstations, we'll be in a position to jump into 4K smoothly.

Recognizing that we're still in HD and don't have huge storage needs, the he suggested we start with their 15-slot chassis (the Storinator AV15) with RAID 5 storage. Start with 5 drives, 4TB each. Cost for chassis, 5 drives (20TB total) and 5 hours of support, $4950.

In addition to my main, cart-before-the-horse question, also curious if:

1. Anyone ever used a product from 45 Drives?

2. Does this price seem reasonable? (I've got no clue at all).

Thanks for any input on this. -Geoff

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]