Re: 4K (and beyond) workflow for sports shooting

COW Forums : Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin Duffey
Re: 4K (and beyond) workflow for sports shooting
on Aug 15, 2017 at 11:46:56 pm

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the reply. A lot of what you said is spot on. First.. have you done this sort of thing... e.g. recording sports games for your kid (or professionally)... sounds like you are drawing from experience.

You are right in that the end result is mostly going to be youtube pushed videos, which even when in 4K are I assumed AVCHD/MP4 compressed. However, I am also looking to offer highlight reels for other parents of their kids. I can not possibly know after each game is recorded who might want one of those down the road. Trying to pick and pull all the good bits would take me hours and would end up with probably at least 1/3 of the video still needing to be stored to cover all the kids (assuming they all make a few decent/good plays per game). So, assuming I were going to save each game till later in the season (end of season) I would much rather work from the barely compressed DNxHR format to edit with than compressed AVCHD/MP4. I am also under the impression (but not for sure yet on how to do this) that I could pull still frames as pictures from DNxHR/ProRes files vs AVCHD/MP4 which often look washed out or dithered on a per frame basis.

I do want to offer the source material to parents as well... perhaps to archive themselves if they are going to pay me for it. Which brings about another thing.. part of my spending the money now was hoping I could ask for a few hundred bucks to make a highlight video per kid. What do you think? Given the number of hours involved in finding a kids involvement in each game, and then cataloging the good bits to then piece together takes a lot of time. I suspect I wont be profitable at all doing this, but if it pays back some of the costs of the gear, then at least there is that. Still, I would like to advertise that I am saving 4K high quality broadcast level video for use in making 4K/HD highlights available... possibly more reason to be worth a $300 or so.

Frankly, I feel like it should cost a bit more because of how many hours are involved, but I know parents wont pay nearly that much. I might be lucky to see a couple of them interested at $200 a pop.

Still, per my thread, I was really curious if there was a way to compress the DNxHR/ProRes footage without any loss.. like how CinemaDNG RAW apparently takes up less space than my DNxHR files. The atomos can actually record in 4K CinemaDNG RAW but only for select cameras. I really wish they would allow it for use as the codec regardless of the input plugged in.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]