FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: 4K (and beyond) workflow for sports shooting

COW Forums : Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

greg janza
Re: 4K (and beyond) workflow for sports shooting
on Aug 15, 2017 at 4:59:26 pm

Your dedication as the official videographer of your childs' soccer team is admirable. It's a lot of work for no pay. It's also admirable that you've attempted to record as high end as possible.

Having said that though, your current recording setup is seriously overkill for your needs. For a project such as yours, the first thing is to think about is what the final delivery method will be. I'm guessing that your final delivery method will be a youtube link to the highlight reel for coaches to check out.

If Youtube is the logical endpoint, then the simplest approach would be to build a normal 1920x1080 HD master which will get compressed into an H264 file for Youtube.

4k is nowhere near mainstream adoption. While it's true that you can find 4k videos on youtube it's still quite a niche area. And television in general is currently being delivered to most people as highly compressed HD.

There are a variety of compression settings with your sony camera. I would experiment a bit and shoot with a compression setting that gives you a good balance between quality and file size. DNxR HQ is a very high quality codec but there are other codecs that will give you a high quality image and with much smaller file sizes.

I'd also recommend that you create highlight selects after each game. The game is 1.25 hours in length but the actual highlights of your childs' play will probably not be more than 5-10mins.

The creation of the end of season highlight reel will be so much easier to put together if you take a bit of time each week and collect the real highlights and discard the rest. you really have no need for large amounts of storage.

If you really want to keep everything 4k that's fine but it'll be even more important to get rid of the non-usable footage each week. This is the norm for any and all kinds of sports highlight reels.

Best of luck!

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]