Re: Small video production company needs an healthy storage system

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex Martinelli
Re: Small video production company needs an healthy storage system
on Jun 24, 2019 at 5:47:12 pm

Hi everyone.

Thank you so much for all the advices you already gave me. It's all a science ! and of course experience, the most valuable asset... I had to read the thread a few times before I could reply to you (and it is pretty busy over here).. so thanks for you patience (hope you still there..).

Bob, you really made a point in your first paragraph. I'm glad somebody with that much experience is the link between brands and customers.

Regarding the router
I will present the 12 ports 10G option as it seems you and Will Duncan are satisfied about it. I understand that you never set-up the Buffalo, but I'm wondering in which way this could be bad ? Bottleneck I guess ?

Concerning the box itself
This is exactly why I came on forums. If you says though, that the DS 1819+ would do the job , I think I will have to present that option because the company is small and every cost should be carefully watched if we want to be able to survive till we stabilise.

My intuition is telling me that the « cheapest that can do the job » will win, until we can rest a bit about business (in the meanwhile we still need to store !!! -that first paragraph says it all to me-.

I will still push for the QNAP TVS-872XT-16G with 10G Cards.

The way we are working is not that hungry of ressources the same for the 9 people. 2 (3 max.) people will just cut down some interview to build a storyline, and then pass it to a « filmmaker » which is gonna put images on top and push the project. The Filmmaker are definitely more likely to build huge projects, and spend some more time using the ressources. I said 9, but now it is 4 Filmmaker and 3 « Storyteller ».

So to keep a bit of margin, I am thinking of asking the Storyteller to get the files on their laptop, edit it off from there and just send the XML to the Filmmaker so the NAS would not be super stressed when everybody is in the party.

About the RAID
You do really recommand RAID 6.. I had an eye about RAID 5 to « spare » one drive but I’ve also read that drives have their chance of fail bumped up during recovering. Should I also make sure the drives are not from the same batch as they have (like we all do) their « time to live » ?

Thanks again for you great help, and yes Carine, let's get in touch see where this could go.

Alex Martinelli

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]