FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Small video production company needs an healthy storage system

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Will Duncan
Re: Small video production company needs an healthy storage system
on Jun 18, 2019 at 10:34:29 pm

I'm currently in the midst of a production that is utilizing a DS1618+ with 10GbE, and I've used the 19+ on several occasions. For a single editor or lighter load with up to 3 editors, they've held up fine. But under an intensive load (4k+, multicam or too many users) or during any type of maintenance/drive rebuilds they've been a pain. Mostly just running slow/bottlenecks for editors and nothing is worse than frustrated editors and nothing you can do about it because you didn't want to spend $2000 more on much better hardware.

I haven't used a QNAP in a heavy shared environment though, I was a fan of Synology because of the simplicity of the software/management and ease of setup, but I really only use them as file-servers and personal media servers. A QNAP at 3x the chassis price is well worth it for the hardware alone to avoid bottlenecks down the road. They appear to just be better built with a lot more horsepower.

As Bob was saying, I also haven't installed or even seen a buffalo 10GbE switch in the wild. I would seriously consider the Netgear options he mentioned. I have been lucky enough to have Aristas for most productions I have worked on.

If you have one off-site editor, and you can control your workflow to have a very organized file structure, you could put a small synology or something on your remote editors desk and have it sync proxies over public internet to them. It's possible depending on the amount of data you are typically sending at once. It's also a small hard drive / shipment away if it's too much to sync. Or consider researching if low-resolution proxies could work. Sometimes we've run into complicated problems during final assembly cause an editor worked int he wrong timeline size with low-res proxies and it adds a lot of hours to fix.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]