Small video production company needs an healthy storage system

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex Martinelli
Small video production company needs an healthy storage system
on Jun 17, 2019 at 10:22:38 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex and I’m working for a small production company here in France.
The company is pretty new and I would like to set-up a sturdy way of dealing with media management.

Today, we are still using external drives which makes it really messy and I think it is time is to go for a NAS.

Before doing it, I still have a few question that I need to resolve to be sure I can present this solution to the company having all the information I need.

Where we are right now :

What is stored on the disk now are Final Cut Pro X Libraries that we grab when we need to work on it, work from the laptop, and update to the new version (basically we replace the library).

We are currently 9 people in the company which need access to the datas.
4 filmmakers more intensively than others (and 1 is living 500km away).
Today we have to send we transfer and hands hard drive to colleagues.

What do we want :

At least 80 TB with Raid 5 or 6 and I want it to be expandable to be able to see the future coming.

Have everything accessible through the network, either locally and remotely to be able to grab and update files from anywhere.

Having a Cloud backup to entirely copy what’s in the NAS.

What I plan to buy :

So I’ve seen the synology DS 1817 and the 1819+
The processor on the 1819+ is faster, but what are the other differences ? I’m kinda lost between all the references.
Do we need more than 4GB of RAM ?

For the drives, I’m planning to get 8x 10TB seagate IronWolf 7200rpm. Are they any you recommend or this would be fine ?

Guess I'll need a switch right ? Would the Buffalo BS-MP2012 be any good ?

Questions :

How to plug this ? We are in a building with there own internet infrastructure and I’m not sure that we can access this system.

We have on each desk an internet Cable cat6 1Gb. They do plan to go to 10GBE in a near future.

So my guess is that I need to grab one of those, plug it into one of the 4 port at the back of the unit, and I’ll be able to redistribute 3 1GBe lines. Is that right ? And what if I need more users ? Is that when I’ll need a switch ?
What’s up with the bandwidth though ? And if I need 10Gbe ? (editing 4k sometimes, would that be mandatory ?).

Maybe I'm taking this wrong ? Also thinking of pluging the NAS to the switch with 4 cat6 cables and pull some line from the switch to the computers ?

I’m kind of drowning in all the infos available everywhere, and these are the first questions coming to myself. I have plenty more but at some point I feel I just need to make sure this would suit my needs and then try it and adjust it.

Thanks a lot for reading this. I'm really glad I have found this community.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]