Re: NAS set-up for video production advice - all fixed

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: NAS set-up for video production advice - all fixed
on Nov 22, 2018 at 2:53:12 pm

Raymond or Fajar -

ProRes 1080i 29.97 is about 20 MB/sec. So 3 - 4 streams unrendered is 60 - 80 MB/sec. Will this work over a 1G connection that can provide 100 MB/sec. Maybe - theoretically. But when you watch a performance graph when asking for this bandwidth, you don't get a nice flat line of 100 MB/sec - you get spikes and peaks. So with 4 streams, you might get stuttering.
Either way, you MUST use the 10G port on the QNAP (or Synology or anything else) to go to a 10G switch, and your clients must have independent ports (not sharing the internet ) to go to this 10G switch. So your "savings" of not getting a 10G adaptor for the computer is -
$175 for a Thunderbolt 3 Mac computer
$100 for a Windows 10 computer
and (unfortunately) $500 for a Thunderbolt 2 Mac computer.

To insure you have the ability to playback 4 streams of ProRes 29.97 1080i, I would get the 10G adaptors.

The total aggregate READ speed of the TVS-873e is about 1000 MB/sec, so if you have 4 guys all using a total of
400 MB/sec, then YES, all the editors can read the same media at the same time, without getting stuttering.
Make sure to get ALL EIGHT DRIVES (all 7200 RPM) in a single static volume. IF you do not purchase the optional 10G card for the QNAP ($89 bucks - it's the QXG-10G1T) and a 10G switch, you are wasting your time and money.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]