FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: NAS set-up for video production advice - all fixed

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: NAS set-up for video production advice - all fixed
on Jun 19, 2018 at 11:10:42 pm

Alex Reply: Ah sorry what I meant was just 'will my 8 drives actually saturate a 10gbe connection? Or would the extra bandwidth of 40gb/s thunderbolt 3 give me something extra? From what I gather you aren't a fan of Thunderbolt 3 qnaps though having just found some other threads.

REPLY - this is correct. While the TVS-1282T3 and TVS-882ST3 are fantastic units, they are fantastic when they are used with 10G connections. With the advent of the Sonnet Solo 10G for $177 street price, what's the problem ?
It's CHEAP !

Alex Reply: This is the motherboard I have so it looks like I have the Aquantia AQC-107 10G like you said. You know everything!
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/specifications/

REPLY - OH I LOVE ASUS motherboards. This is the motherboard that Blackmagic recommends for Davinci Resolve when you are going to build your own Win PC. It's great. Aquantia is great !

Alex Reply: Thanks man. I guess my big question still is why the thunderbolt 3 units should be avoided? Some of the posts about this have gone over my head tbh. This is my first NAS and I'm not up on all the ins and out. I am definitely getting the vibe that there's no point in that platform but I'd love to be fully illuminated on the issues with those. Are they just a distraction in this market?

REPLY - people think that "oh, I have this FREE built in thunderbolt 3 port, I can have this connection FOR FREE !".
You are limited to a 2 meter connection with thunderbolt 3. If you extend, you drop down to thunderbolt 2 speeds. With the Sonnet Solo 10G for $177, you can run 55 meters at FULL SPEED, and if the cable breaks, you spend 10 quid to replace it. And you will have a super reliable connection. There is this fascination with thunderbolt 3 connection, as if it's some miracle. It's not. What I can say, is that if you don't care about a shared storage system, and just want a big drive array, you can purchase a wonderful thunderbolt 3 RAID array from G-Tech, Promise, or Areca, and just plug it in, and it will work, without any configuration from me. Now, THATS easy. The QNAP is not that easy. No network attached shared storage system is.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]