Re: NAS set-up for video production advice - all fixed

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex Pickup
Re: NAS set-up for video production advice - all fixed
on Jun 19, 2018 at 3:36:03 pm

Hi Bob

You seem to be the man in the know! I was wondering what you thought about the new Thunderbolt 3 Qnaps? My instinct is that I won't saturate that connection with 8 drives so they seem expensive to me maybe. However I wouldn't need any adapters so would save there.

All I want to do is have a NAS running dropbox as we use that for everything (we're based in many locations). In addition I would like to attach my PC and Mac Laptop to the NAS directly so they can share files and I can edit video straight off the box.

I am thinking that a 10gbe direct connection to both systems would be plenty of speed?

My PC has thunderbolt 3 and 10gbe connections already on board

My laptop has thunderbolt 3 only. So I guess I'd need the expensive converter box for that which might use up some of the price difference between the non-thunderbolt and thunderbolt qnaps.

The two I'm considering are: Qnap TVS-873e-8G or Qnap TVS-882BRT3-i5-16G and the price difference in the Uk is around £500.

I'd love any advice and also once I've got the basic system going would you be up for remote access setup?
Alex

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]