FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to connect a Qnap NAS to the internet through wifi only?

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Remich
How to connect a Qnap NAS to the internet through wifi only?
on Aug 23, 2019 at 2:37:09 pm

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a QNAP TVS-872XT for our small production studio and have a quick question. We have public wifi with good download (>150mbps) but slow (~5mbps) upload speeds and no access to a hard-line network connection.

I can connect the NAS to our router/modem at home to get it setup and configured, but I would like to be able to setup the NAS to make regular cloud backups and occasionally access it remotely. Is connecting it to the internet as simple as buying a USB dongle (i.e. the ASUS USB-AC51 Dual Band Wireless AC600 Wi-Fi Adapter)? Or do I need to do something more involved? I know the NAS has an open PCIE slot to add a QNAP wi-fi adapter card, but I plan on using that to add a second 10G port.

Also, if anyone has any insight/advice on setting up a cloud backup of an NAS, please feel free to share. I figure backing up large video files is going to take forever, especially with those slow upload speeds (I'm going to talk to our IT guy to see if there's anything that could speed it up), but we're not shooting every day, so if it takes a few days to backup a shoot—but then we have an off-site backup—that's better than not having an off-site backup.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]