Re: Any thoughts on the QNAP TVS-672XT?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Remich
Re: Any thoughts on the QNAP TVS-672XT?
on Aug 15, 2019 at 1:50:18 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Just a few followups:

1.) Good to know. Thanks. I thought this might be the case, but wasn't sure.

2.) My thinking on choosing RAID 0 paired with a consistent, external backup was partially based upon this article (https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/), which argues that RAIDs 5 and 6 provide a false sense of protection as drive size increases since the chance you'll actually be able to rebuild a RAID after a drive failure without encountering a read error that stops the rebuild becomes less.

Is that article contrary to your experience? Are you or your clients successfully rebuilding RAID 5/6 setups with large (~6+ TB) disks after a disk failure without encountering read errors? I genuinely want to know as the article was written a long time ago. The prudent solution is of course to do both (RAID 5/6 with consistent on-site and off-site backups), but I was just curious about your experience.

3.) Good to know. Is 16GB enough then? Should we get more than that?

4.) You don't think Thunderbolt 3 would be fast enough to edit HD proxies? Our planned setup is for one computer to access proxies to edit (connected via Thunderbolt 3) and the second (connected via 10Gbe) to color grade and export. I figure we can always add a 10Gbe switch later, if both machines need the speed.

My main question is: Can you access data via a Thunderbolt/USB connection and 10gbe simultaneously, or does everything has to go through one of the network connections? This will be our first NAS setup and I just don't know.

6.) Alas, if it were only $333, or if we didn't have other, major purchases to make, it wouldn't be an issue. However I'm doing my best to get 30-40TB of reliable storage that's fast enough for two people to edit from for $3k all-in, which, on the surface at least, doesn't seem like asking for the moon.

Again, thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge.

-Steve

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]