COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: Any thoughts on the QNAP TVS-672XT?
on Aug 14, 2019 at 10:41:52 pm

replies below -

1.) Is the TVS-672XT a solid choice?

REPLY - yes - but the TVS-872XT is a better choice. Why ? Because it has more drives, more spinning platters. And stop it with the RAID 0. You are out of your mind, even if you do have a backup.
I always do a RAID 6, but AT LEAST do a RAID 5 so you don't screw yourself. Let me assure you - drives fail.

2.) Are real-world speeds of the 672XT comparable to the 872XT with just a few machines connected?

REPLY - nope. With one user, yes, but with 2 users (especially with multi clip) - you need eight spinning platters. The limitation is not the QNAP or Synology or any other brand - it's the Seagate or WD 7200 RPM drives. Use 8 drives.

3.) Should I upgrade the stock, 8GB RAM?
REPLY - yes, you should have 16 Gig of RAM. Can you get away with 8 Gig for 2 users ? Yes.
I have done multiple TVS-873e systems with 8 Gig of RAM, and people get away with it (but there are 8 drives in that system).

4.) Is it possible to connect one computer via Thunderbolt 3 (through a Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter) and one via 10Gbe? Or do they both need to go through 10GBe to access data simultaneously?

REPLY - you will be very disappointed with real world performance with Thunderbolt 3.
Get a cheap QNAP QSW-1208-8C switch for $589, and plug this into your 10G port. And if you are really broke, get a single port QXG-10G1T and put it into one of the slots in the TVS-872XT, and now you have 2 10G ports. You will have to setup static IP addresses on different subnets to make this work.
For the T3 computer, you can use a QNAP QNA-T310G1T for $189. For the T2 computer, you can use the Sonnet Solo 10G T2. This is $199. You will max out at 400 MB/sec with the Solo 10G T2.
The more expensive ($475) Sonnet Twin 10G will do 800 MB/sec (and the QNAP QNA-T310G1T will also do 800 MB/sec). I don't know why the Solo 10G T2 is "slow" - but it will still work for your application. The Sonnet Solo 10G T3 is very fast, and it too is $199 or less - and NO, you cannot put a T2 to T3 adaptor on the Solo 10G T3 to get it to work on the T2 computer.
And your Mac's must be running 10.13.6 or greater for these adaptors to work (exception - the
Sonnet Twin 10G can use any old Mac operating system). .

5.) Would this setup be sufficient for two computers to simultaneously access Canon Raw Lite files (the heaviest potential load I can think of), or is that asking too much?

REPLY - I don't know exactly what codec this is. All the normal ProRes, XAVC, .r3d will work fine.
If it's MP4 format (like GoPro and DJI Drone) you will suffer, as this media should be transcoded to a pro codec for playback.

6.)Is there anything I'm not thinking of?
REPLY - yea - spending $1800 for a shared storage system (the TVS-872XT) does not require an Amex Black Card. Your investing in your business, and you are busy enough to need something for more than just yourself. Buy the right equipment that you know will work.

the TVS-672XT is $1466, and the TVS-872XT is $1799. If that financial difference is going to break you - then you should not be starting your own business, as one months rent will greatly surpass
this expense. $333 does not require an Amex Black card.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]