FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any thoughts on the QNAP TVS-672XT?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Remich
Any thoughts on the QNAP TVS-672XT?
on Aug 14, 2019 at 6:41:10 pm

I've seen a lot of positive reviews of the QNAP TVS-872XT and was wondering if anyone has any experience with/thoughts on the 6-bay model. I thought given our setup (explained below), the faster, clock speed of the quad core and fewer drives could be a cost effective solution.

We're a small company and, at present, we'll only have two machines (a 2015 iMac and a 2017 iMac) connected to the box. We've been using a proxy workflow for editing and at most we would need 1-2 machines simultaneously editing or one machine editing and one finishing/color grading. We're using a combination of cameras with 4K and HD resolutions with the heaviest codec being Canon RawLite files from a C200, which are pretty heavy at 1gbps. We may add more editors in the future, but realistically, we'd add no more than two more people to edit with proxies and in general I'm not looking for anything more powerful than that setup.

Since this seems like a relatively light load (except for the online finishing of raw files), I thought we may be able to purchase the 6-bay version, instead of the 8-bay version, assuming its also a quality product. My plan is to fill it with 8TB Ironwolf drives, set in RAID 0, and back up to external drives should a drive fail.

Given this setup, my questions are:
1.) Is the TVS-672XT a solid choice?
2.) Are real-world speeds of the 672XT comparable to the 872XT with just a few machines connected?
3.) Should I upgrade the stock, 8GB RAM?
4.) Is it possible to connect one computer via Thunderbolt 3 (through a Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter) and one via 10Gbe? Or do they both need to go through 10GBe to access data simultaneously?
5.) Would this setup be sufficient for two computers to simultaneously access Canon Raw Lite files (the heaviest potential load I can think of), or is that asking too much?
6.)Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Please don't tear my head off that I'm trying to find a cost effective solution. I'm not afraid to spend money, but I don't have an Amex black card and don't want to purchase more than is necessary for our relatively small studio.

-Steve

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]