Re: Low sound levels on HM 100 & other questions

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott Sheriff
Re: Low sound levels on HM 100 & other questions
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:18:01 pm

Isa,
"I really thought someone else would have found this. If I record audio on manual, the levels peak very easily, but pulling the clips into FCP, the levels are very low and need to be normalised. Any clue what I can do?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "normalize".
Without know what you are trying to record, and what your final output is, it is hard to give specific advice. What are you setting your peaks at? And what is generating the peaks?
Manual is the way to go. All any automatic mode is going to do for you is kill your dynamic range.

"Also, I saw a review about the fantastic lo-lux mode, but I've found this camera really tough and ridiculously noisy in lowlux mode. How do you get beyond the noise?"

Add lights.
I think you're suffering from unrealistic expectations.
This camera has 3 x 1/4 inch CCD's. That is not a lot of light gathering surface. Couple that with the maximum aperture of the lens, and the fact you're dividing the light transmitted through the lens three ways with a prism before it gets to the CCD's. Image pickups generate random electron noise when they are not sufficiently stimulated by light falling on the surface. Upping the gain magnifies this noise. Some tricky digital filters built into the camera can reduce this somewhat, but there is no magic that makes this just go away.
More light, faster glass with bigger apertures, bigger image sensors is the only cure for this.
Shooting 720 unless you need a bigger frame for final delivery, and shutting off the image stabilizer may help some.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]