APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Best FPS Strategy in Final Cut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Best FPS Strategy in Final Cut?
on May 18, 2020 at 1:09:31 am

Those are more questions for your DoP than an editor.

As a cinematographer though, I would usually say that frame rate is only a very small part of things looking 'cinematic' and to shoot at the base frame rate for your deliverable. No point shooting at 24fps if you're aiming for broadcast 30fps or shooting green screen, etc.

I only shoot off-speed if I know I'm going to want to slow down the footage later - but if you have no clue what you might want to use as slo-mo then shoot it all at higher frame rates and live with the decreased motion blur.

As far as FCPX goes, it will generally handle whatever you throw at it in terms of mixed frame rates so set the timeline to the base frame rate everything was shot at. Again, shoot for the deliverables.

If you need to output multiple frame rates, in my experience art least, FCPX's frame rate conversion can be a bit dodgy. I've had FCPX frame rate conversions fail network QC so I usually leave conversions to other applications e.g. Resolve.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]