APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X and PPro - Same footage, differing color.

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brad Hurley
Re: FCP X and PPro - Same footage, differing color.
on May 16, 2020 at 9:11:19 am

My guess is that the two apps are using different gamma settings. Rec 709 is just a color space, but you have to consider gamma as well: Gamma 2.2 would be for viewing in brightly lit environments, like an office; it's the right gamma for viewing online for example. Gamma 2.4 is for televisions/broadcast, which are normally viewed in a more dim environment. I think cinema is gamma 2.6, which has the lowest brightness and contrast; it's meant for viewing in a completely dark, controlled environment.

I don't know if there's any way to adjust gamma settings in FCPX; it's easy to do in Resolve which gives you a lot more control in terms of the input color space and gamma, timeline color space and gamma, and your output/deliverable color space and gamma. I've never used Premiere so I don't know about its settings. But the differences you describe (one being lighter with less contrast and the other being darker with more saturation) really sound like gamma differences to me.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]