APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Clip and timecode confusion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Grant Peacock
Re: Clip and timecode confusion
on Jan 26, 2020 at 1:41:26 pm

Good morning Brad!

The cameras were t.code sync'd in the simplest possible way - a simple BNC, coupled with menu choices in the C300's so that one camera sends and the other receives. Although these (Canon EOS) cameras have a reputation for some drift over a long day, in this case it would be unlikely that they could get more than a frame out of sync with each other (2 hour shoot, both cameras powered and on continuously, albeit at a distance where I decided not to maintain a cable connection between them).

I doubt t.code is a basis of this problem - for most of the 2 hour event, the resultant clips are in sync to within +/- 1 frame, as evidenced by opportunities to manually check sync (eg gavel open and close). If any further investigation could be done, I would be digging into the FCPX importing process.

One odd-ball thing did happen during this shoot, with one of the cameras. As I was in the process of splitting files into aprox 30 min durations (with a rapid record stop/start again), I appeared to be right at the end of one CF card's capacity. I think my attempt at swapping slots (available on the C300 if the camera is not recording) might have coincided with the moment that the camera itself was swapping media. That might explain why I have clip #'s increasing from Card 1 to Card 2 and back to Card 1, then reverting back to Card 2. But if the basis of a multi-cam file is t.code, I'd anticipate the clip #'s matter not. The next time I cover this event, I will be running Atomos prores recorders on each camera in order to produce a 2nd set of files.... just to be sure!

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Washington DC
GPI TV LLC

ENG and Cine-style
Cameras and Crews

http://www.gpi.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]